THE HISTORY OF
WEST SOUTHERN PINES

In 1923 West Southern Pines became one of the first incorporated African American towns in North Carolina. The town had its own mayor, city council, and municipal services. In 1931 the Town of Southern Pines wanted to own the water from McDeed’s Creek which was in the Town of West Southern Pines so they had the State Legislature revoke the West Southern Pines Town Charter and immediately annexed it into Southern Pines. The Southern Pines Town Council couldn’t say that wanting McDeed's Creek was the reason for the revocation, so they made up three reasons that are all suspect by today’s standards. One “good” reason that was given and recorded at the council meeting was that “Negroes are incapable of governing themselves”.

(View the minutes from the 1931 Town Council meeting.)

  

Read More
 
 
scruggs3.jpg

Dr. Lawson Andrew Scruggs

Pickford Sanitorium / RC Lawson Inst.

Physician and Pharmacist. One of three black doctors licensed in the State of North Carolina. Founder of Pickford Sanitarium later to become RC Lawson Institute in West Southern Pines.

 
james.webp

James Ellis Hasty

Second Mayor of West Southern Pines

On June 7, 1927 West Southern Pines elected James Ellis Hasty as the second mayor of West Southern Pines with 43 votes. Five commissioners were elected and sworn in at a public meeting held at Trinity AME Zion Church by lawyer P.P. Pelton. Minutes from the West Southrn Pines Town Council how they sought to make street improvements, buy land for a town hall, and adopt more ordinances.

(Picture courtesy of book, "East and West Southern Pines" by Sara Lindau and Pamela M. Blue, Arcadia Publishing, 2004)

 

Emmanuel "Jug" Douglass

Mayor, Southern Pines

He was elected in 1971 and served as Mayor Pro-Tem; re-elected in 1973 and again served as Mayor Pro-Tem; re-elected in 1975 and served as Mayor Pro-Tem; re-elected in 1977 and served as Mayor; re-elected in 1979 and served as Treasurer; re-elected in 1981, served as Mayor; re-elected in 1983, served as Treasurer; re-elected in 1985 and served as Mayor. He was Mayor during the Town’s Centennial Celebration! As councilman, mayor and short-term Civic Club President, he spearheaded movements for, expanding housing for low income families, improved recreation for youth, greater employment of African Americans, and acquisition of community development block grants.

jug.webp
 

West Southern Pines High School

Class of 1948

This is a picture of the graduating class of 1948 in front of the West Southern Pines High School, currently the auditorium at the former Southern Pines Primary School.

(Picture courtesy of book, "East and West Southern Pines" by Sara Lindau and Pamela M. Blue, Arcadia Publishing, 2004)

20210906_151652_edited.webp
 

Class of 1948 (Cap and Gown Picture)

(Picture courtesy of book "East and West Southern Pines" by Sara Lindau and Pamela M. Blue, Arcadia Publishing, 2004)

Front Row (from left to right)
Waltsie Cotton, Ruth Baldwin, Martha Blue, Middie Kirkland, Floyd Goode, Jeanette McNeil, Mildred Waddell, Helen Hainsworth, Margarita Caldwell, (middle row) Lynwood Flowers, Lillian Dockery, unknown, Mr. Ward (band leader), Lorraine McNeil, John Robinson, (back row) Mrs. Clark, james McFadden, James Gillis, Babe Stephenson, William King, Edard Blue, Charles Hill, John Stubbs, Tommy Lewis, Mitchell McClain, Mr. Moore (Principal)

class.webp